Tuesday, August 25, 2026

“I’m An Off-Duty Icon”: Brenda Song On Her Fall Fashion Aesthetics & Moods

After an ultra-hot summer of barely-there dressing, we’re looking forward to the fall and all the outfit inspo that comes with it, from back-to-school season to NYFW street style. And style It-girl Brenda Song has been spotting all the early fall trends for us. Teaming up with Marshalls, Song’s perspective helped launch the Fall Fashion Field Guide, highlighting five distinct aesthetics to shop and style.

The guide focuses on The Belle of the Fall (think cozy layers and earthy palettes), The Vibe Curator (animal prints and statement footwear), The Polished Powerhouse (structured blazers and leather accents), The Mystical Muse (moody florals and lace trims), and The Off-Duty Icon (relaxed denim and chic sneakers).

“I feel like this might be a cheat of an answer, but I’m a little bit of all of them. And that’s how these personalities sort of came to be. I always say my style depends on what mood I’m in,” Song tells Refinery29. “But most of the time I’m probably an off-duty icon. I wouldn’t call myself an icon, but I’d like to dress like one!”

The actress elaborated that her fall outfit formula always starts with a staple like a T-shirt, jeans, or trousers before amping it up with accessories. “I think that’s where you can really have fun with your outfit. I love a great scarf. I love a fun purse, belt, jewelry,” Song says. “I have a gigantic accessories closet, so I feel like it’s a really easy way to update any outfit or dress up or dress down an outfit from day to night.”

Ahead, learn more about some of Song’s key fall trends, how to shop name-brand styles from Marshalls at any budget, and which of her TV and movie characters she thinks would wear each aesthetic.

DashDividers_1_500x100

The Off-Duty Icon

When it comes to back-to-school season with her children and the start of NBA season as an avid basketball fan, Song gravitates towards easy, preppy, and sporty pieces. “When I wake up and I’m running around with the kids, I’m definitely an off-duty icon. Comfort is key, but just cuz you’re comfortable doesn’t mean you can’t look cute,” Song explains.

As an NBA courtside staple, Song adds: “I feel like I’m basically a player off the field. I think it’s so fun to pair a jersey with baggy jeans or a fun satin bomber. It’s such a fun way to dress up and still be comfortable while watching a game because you still gotta look cute courtside.” She also said that despite her 5’2″ frame, she’s been very into flats, including sneakers.

And thinking back on which of her characters would most likely wear this aesthetic, she says: “I think Wendy Woo is an off duty icon. She takes casual to the nth degree. She knows how to work with an amazing tracksuit, an amazing satin bomber. She knows how to make effortless look cool.”

DashDividers_1_500x100

The Belle of the Fall

The Belle of the Fall aesthetic is quintessential nostalgic fall style, focusing on lots of layering, rich textures, deep colors, and bold accessories. And though we’re still getting hot days, Song says: “I’ve been dressing aspirationally hoping for the fall weather. I go full belle of the fall. Lots of scarves, lots of hats. Give me a big chunky scarf and a big sweater. I want to be cozy.” She also says she loves a knee-high boot as well as a short boot with a fun sock peeking out.

Wondering which of Song’s characters she thinks would wear this aesthetic? “It’d actually be very London Tipton because London loves an accessory. That’s the thing about a belle of the fall; it’s taking your staple pieces and making the outfit with the accessories. London loves a shawl. She loves a scarf. She loves putting it all together.”

DashDividers_1_500x100

The Vibe Curator

When asked about her date night outfits with her husband Macaulay Culkin, Song likes to set the mood with dressier pieces and leopard print (which she declares a neutral). “If it’s date night or dinner, it’s very vibe curator,” she says, adding: “I love a matching set, whether that be a flowy pant and a button up or I love a little satin midi skirt with a little camisole with a cute sweater or a leather jacket. I’m so ready to wear my leather jacket ’cause I feel like it just really makes any outfit instantly feel like that girl.”

You know who else is that girl? Her character Natasha. “One of my favorite characters of all time that I played was Natasha from Stuck in the Suburbs. I feel like she is a vibe curator. She can take one piece and go with it. She follows all the trends. She knows what’s coming, she knows what’s hot, what’s not. And she’s very unapologetic about how she dresses,” Song explains. “I was 16 on that movie set. I still regret not stealing so much of that wardrobe.”

DashDividers_1_500x100

The Mystical Muse

As we enter spooky season, we’ll be seeing more witchy styles from chunky stone jewelry to dark floral maxi dresses. And although it’s the most out of Song’s comfort zone, she finds the style aspirational. “I feel like in this phase of my life, I would want to be more of the mystical muse. But because I’m running around with my kids, it’s just harder to be able to dress that way,” adding: “I feel like in my 20s, I was very much the mystical muse. I loved a big caftan, layering, tons of jewelry, big scarves.”

This is similar to Song’s Dollface character Madison. “It was all girls from California. So they had this sort of effortless, kind of boho vibe. I loved her wardrobe. It was one of my favorites.”

DashDividers_1_500x100

The Polished Powerhouse

Perhaps there’s no back-to-work season, but the fall certainly feels like it, and it calls for a professional wardrobe. “When I go to work or I feel like I need to look like an adult, I’m the polished powerhouse.” This looks like structured blazers, leather work bags, slingback heels, and chevron prints.

And a not-so-boring office siren is character Ali Lee from Song’s Netflix basketball comedy series Running Point. “That girl has amazing blazers and she knows how to make an outfit feel polished but still really fun. Our costume designer Allyson Fanger is incredible at being able to make things work-appropriate. We use a lot of the same pieces in different ways. And I think that’s what I love so much about my character — the way that we approach fashion is how real people re-wear pieces,” adding: “Ali has a jacket that she loves. She wore the same striped shirt three times last season.”

Shop the full Marshalls Fall Fashion Field Guide

Like what you see? How about some more R29 goodness, right here?

Paige DeSorbo’s Sweetest Amazon Fall Finds

Katseye’s Stylist Talks Pinky Up Era & Aesthetic

Haley Baylee Talks Old Navy's Fall Denim Campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment